Smile Team Logo & Identity
Volunteer project for nonprofit Smile Team. Lara Lee retains copyright.
The Smile Team is a volunteer group composed of employees from National Trade Productions (NTP) and its in-house marketing agency CSG Creative all dedicated to promoting a fun, positive office culture. Whether by recognizing employee milestones like work anniversaries or birthdays, sponsoring holiday festivities, or inviting employees to simply take pause in the workday to get social with each other, Smile Team is a big part of the company culture.
Currently, Smile Team has no graphics of its own nor any sort of logo or other identifying marks. This makes it difficult for people to distinguish Smile Team events from those a sister group, the Culture Club, and results in a less professional appearance. Additionally, other Smile Team members retired when they left NTP or CSG. Smile Team hopes to promote interest in the group, both to better engage existing members as well as grow in the future.
A team member of Smile Team expressed a desire to stand out better and look more professional while it’s conducting its operations in the office. An official logo design, visual identity, and marketing kit for Smile Team will improve its public perception and facilitate both internal and external communications.
- No existing logo; collateral is generic
- Identity fails to communicate the uniquely personable yet professional Smile Team brand
- Inconsistent identity makes the Smile Team events more difficult to recognize and hinders newcomers from learning about the group
- Primary form of communication (email) is unbranded
It all begins with the logo, the primary identifying mark of Smile Team. A Smile Team member described their brand as “friendly” and “festive,” so the logo needed to be personable. Yet Smile Team is also an office event. The logo also needed to be trim and tidy.
Before & After
- Logo is unique and memorable
- Single, uniting identity: no longer branded to a single parent organization
- Improved public recognition and cross-company camaraderie
- Consistent, branded collateral across both print and digital media
- Editable and infinitely scalable graphics for long-term durability
- Email templates introduce new functionality and ability to reach more people
- Smile Team emails saw an average open rate for Design & Development companies at 39.00%, with a click-through rate of 2.61%; the average open rate for Entertainment & Event companies at 21.21%, with a click-through rate of 2.33.% The latest email saw 61.1% open rate with 8.3% click rate! (The national average rates for these industries are 21.59% open rate and 2.51% click rate.)
With a name like Smile Team, it felt obvious to embed a smiley face somewhere within the logo design. I experimented with loose, organic forms with shapes I hoped mimicked brushstroke typography. Smile Team is fun and hands-on, so the crafty, artistic aesthetic of a hand-lettered logomark seemed appropriate. I also experimented with various combinations of geometric shapes, but I ultimately decided these felt almost too tidy for Smile Team.
MailChimp HTML Email Templates
The Smile Team was the most excited when I unveiled their custom, responsive, mobile-friendly email templates. (For the record, I was told, their frenemy Culture Club does not have branded emails.) The templates are: Memo with Photo, Memo without Photo, Featured Event, Upcoming Events, and Newsletter. The variety gives Smile Team a lot of flexibility to advertise events and share news. Each template design is also compatible with MailChimp’s WYSIWYG editor so Smile Team members can create custom emails without any coding experience whatsoever.